Sunday 1 January 2012

12 in 2012 - Part 1

12 in 2012 blog title

Happy New Year!

So here are the first items on my list of 12 things I'd like to see growth/improvement/development/enjoyment in in 2012...

1. To read my Bible more
Like most people, I struggle to find the time (or make the time) in a busy day or week to have a regular time of Bible reading. I make the effort to read it for a particular study, or to find encouragement but I don't really read it just to draw near to God and get to know Him, His character, His heart better. I'm praying for a greater desire for His word in many ways. I'm hoping this will also help me to seek first His Kingdom day-by-day.

2. To memorize Scripture
This is kind of tied into number 1, but I don't just want to read God's word...I want it to dwell in me and to make a difference in my life...to change me. So, I'll be making an effort to write out verses and passages and post them around the place so that I can learn to call on God's word at all times because it is within me.

3. To pray more
This is more about establishing a regular discipline of prayer and also making the effort to journal my prayers and conversations with God. I know that I really benefit when I record how God is speaking to me and how He responds to my prayers. This is something I really want to grow in.

4. To be more thankful and content
This last year has been difficult for me in a few ways and I have noticed discontent creep into various areas of my thinking and speaking. I think that working hard at number 3 will help with this item in some ways but I also think that I need to give it specific focus.
We've starting saying prayers at bedtime with Ethan and mostly these are prayers of thanks. Every day he says thanks for food to eat and for each one of us. It's been such a witness to me of how blessed we really are and how much we have to be thankful for. This is something I need to remember more and want to build into our family life in 2012.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

Numbers 5 to 8 coming up tomorrow!

No comments: