Wednesday 3 June 2009

Big Word Wednesday #2

Anaphylactic
This is one of my favourite words…I don’t know why. Do I need a reason why? I think I just like the way it sounds!

When most people hear the word anaphylactic (pronounced anna-fi-laktik) they think of someone having anaphylactic shock, typically as a result of an allergic reaction to something. It tends to sound dramatic and pretty scary.

But the word anaphylactic on its own actually refers to an extreme sensitivity to something. In medical terms, it is used when our body is so sensitive to something that it responds or reacts to it, usually in quite a strong way.

But moving on from medical definitions, I started to think about what other things we can be sensitive to. And what things should we be sensitive to?
What things create a response or reaction in us?
And what things should create a response or reaction from us?

Are we sensitive to money, peer pressure, the media, our possessions?
Do these things get a response from us in how we use our time and our energy?
Are they a priority for us?
Do we react, in any way, to how these things are used or promoted by our culture?
Is God sensitive to these things? Are His actions and thoughts a response to them?

I think sometimes, maybe I do. But I don’t think God does.

Are we sensitive to people? To those around us?
People in pain, people in need, lonely people, hurting people.
Do we respond to people? Is it evident in how we use our time and our energy?
Are people a priority for us?
Do we react, in any way, to how people are valued or unvalued by our culture?

Is God sensitive to people?
Are His actions and thoughts a response to them?
I think so.

It’s often quoted and so can sometimes lose its value but John 3:16 is the essence of God’s anaphylaxis…His extreme sensitivity for people and to people. And His extreme response and reaction to that sensitivity.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16 (NIV)

1 comment:

Marnee Setty said...

Beautiful words Lindsey, they search deep. Thanks for thinking online. I'm a friend of one of your followers so I followed her on over here and am blessed by your thoughts.