Tuesday 26 May 2009

Learning to Love

This weekend while listening to the sermon at church I was reminded why I chose to call this blog ‘learning to love’. The preacher discussed some of the lessons we can learn from the story of the prodigal son, and I was once again touched by the response of a father to his wayward son. A response of love.

I believe in a God who is love. And although I don’t always understand or completely comprehend what that means I know that it means more than the gooey lovey-dovey stuff we see in romantic films and cringe over on Valentine’s Day. I know that God’s love caused Him to make the ultimate sacrifice so that I could have a hope and a future and a relationship with Him.

This love is more than just nice words and thoughtful gifts. This love changes hearts and attitudes. This love supports, encourages and inspires. This love forgives and then forgives again and again. This love remembers no wrong. This love protects and trusts and hopes. This love is selfless. (See 1 Corinthians 13 for more about this love)

But although I am made in His image, this is not always the love that I show.

The love that I show is not consistent, dependable or unfailing.
The love that I show can vary, have no integrity, and be solely based around my own feelings.
The love that I show can be selfish and greedy.
The love that I show can be anything but love.

But I have hope. I hope that my God, who is love, can teach me how to love. To really love. To love like He loves.

So I have dedicated my life to learning to love.

To love when I don’t feel like it.
To love when I don’t think it’s fair.
To love regardless of what I can get out of it.
To love when it’s hard as I do when it’s easy.
To love when it’s not cool.
To love when it’s costly.

To love people as God loves them.

x

No comments: