Monday 30 November 2009

St Andrew's Day

To celebrate St Andrew's Day today, Learning from Sophie has encouraged a few of us to write a post describing our experiences of Scotland. So, here's mine...

I first visited Scotland in my early twenties for work. I remember driving round the streets of Edinburgh and thinking to myself, ‘hmm, it would be quite nice to live here’.

Fast forward a few years and I’m now living in Edinburgh, right near to where I first visited. My life has gone through many changes and transitions over the last few years and I truly believe that God’s hand has been on it. Moving to Edinburgh has been a real journey of faith, but I can clearly see that God has brought us here for a purpose and I’m excited for what the future holds for us here.

During the few weeks before we moved here I ended up spending several days in Edinburgh on my own interviewing for a new job. I really don’t like being on my own and usually struggle during these times. But I remember finding the people so welcoming, and the service in shops and cafes so nice. I never felt that I was inconveniencing anyone when asking for directions or other random questions. I never felt that I was a hassle to someone when buying something in a shop. The buses were so cheap and easy to understand (I must’ve looked like a tourist!). And I loved walking through the streets and imagining I was in some period drama (I still do that sometimes!). The buildings and architecture are so amazing!

I think I was blessed to have visited during the spring and a few days of good weather. But I feel the same when I have visited other places in Scotland. The landscape has a real beauty and peace about it (except maybe the gale force winds, hail and torrential rain on Arran!) and I love exploring it!

I love beaches and being by the sea too. So I thought I’d finish with a picture of one of my favourite places, Elie in Fife. This place has a very special place in my heart for many reasons.

IMG_9354a

1 comment:

LA said...

So cool to hear (and see) your perspective. And you know, I've still never been to Elie despite the fact both my younger siblings were schooled in St Andrews for many years!

I don't think I ever appreciate the beauty of Edinburgh's architecture (and skyline restrictions) until I lived somewhere else for 6 years.

Thank you for contributing today!