Friday 20 November 2009

The Guilt Trip

Her cushions were beautiful. And they lay perfectly, symmetrically, on her beautiful sofas. In her beautiful living room. In her beautiful flat.

My friend had just had a baby about one week before, but her home still looked immaculate. Like a brochure or a magazine. Just with baby clothes and congratulations cards here and there.

I love my friend’s home. It’s beautiful, tasteful, warm and welcoming. But I sit in it wishing my home was like that too. In fact, I sit there and begin to dislike my home, even though I know I don’t really dislike it!

I sit there and I compare my home to hers. And I judge my home against hers.

Why are we so quick to judge ourselves against others? Why do we jump to conclusions about ourselves based on our comparisons? Why do we assess our value and worth from these judgements?

And why do I fall so easily when it comes to comparing myself?

Thank you Lord that you create each of us to be unique, as an individual. Thank you that you love us as we are and that you lift us up when we fall down. Help us to look to you when we are tempted to compare ourselves to others.

O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;

you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;

you are familiar with all my ways.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!

How vast is the sum of them!
Psalm 139:1-3,14,17

No comments: