Tuesday 29 January 2013

Rich towards God, Generous towards Others

The New Year began at church with a great sermon about living rich lives towards God. A reminder that we are stewards, not owners, of all that God blesses us with. That we should hold everything with open hands ready to give to others, or back to God, where needed. This is how the early church lived. And many were added to their number daily!
We were challenged to live a life of simplicity, community and faith.

And I have been thinking...as I do...what does it mean to be generous?
I think we have a tendency to think about it in one of two ways:
1. Generosity is about how much money I give, so I'll give some cash and that's my giving done.
2. Generosity isn't just about money, and I give in so many ways, I don't need to give, or give much, of my finances.

But I would suggest that generosity is about everything. All that we have. Finances, material belongings, gifts, skills, time and many other things. We should be challenged  to give in many ways, according to what the situation asks of us.

Welcoming someone into your family so that they are not lonely is generous.
Taking the time to teach someone a new skill is generous.
Baking delicious goodies to treat others or provide for someone else is generous.
Supporting someone financially so they can gain an education is generous.

Let's get creative and think outside the box when it comes to blessing others. It doesn't even have to be big things. Sometimes its the small things that mean most to someone. Just being remembered can be a gift to someone.

So let's remember that being generous is a privilege and a gift.
And let's amaze the world with God's generosity through us!

No comments: