Monday 6 June 2011

Ships passing in the night

I heard you rise, but I didn't look at the clock. I knew I would dispise the hour.

I felt you leave, but I didn't open my eyes. I knew I would see your space unoccupied.

I swam against the tide of my days. Receiving your updates. Hoping the encouragement I was sending was finding you.
Struggling to keep my own head dry. Buoyed with the hope of seeing you soon.

I sank into bed. I couldn't settle. I didn't want to fall asleep with the distance still between us.

We passed. Floating on by. Moving from one task to the next. Pushed along by the tide. Drifting in and then out.

Finally we docked. But the waves rocked us up and down. We crashed. We sank a little. We hurt.

Then the storm passed, the waves calmed. We rested.
And we laughed.
We healed and we found some peace.


Life has been crazy recently. Really crazy.
Between Phil's work (big BIG project going on), my work (crazy people going on) and Ethan's new 5:30am morning wake up call, we have just about survived the last week or so. But it has been hard for all of us.
I don't like it when life causes us to be so busy we react instead of responding. We have itineries instead of attentiveness. We operated out of necessity rather than grace. We cause pain just because our brains can't physically work fast enough to stop us!

Lord, help us to fix our eyes on you during this busy time. Give us the strength and grace we need to get through each day. Help us to take our eyes off our circumstances, emotions and tiredness. Give us good rest and renewal. May we still praise you and bring glory to your name because you sustain us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful poem, it is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and become human doings instead of human beings. May you all know and enjoy the stillness of God.