Wednesday 2 December 2009

The Tale of the Mascara Blob

This morning I was in a rush. Most mornings seem to be conducted in a rush!
I have taken to liking my bed and liking sleep even more than usual.
But this morning I was especially rushed.

I had a few errands to do before getting the bus to work and I was already running (or rather not running) very late! So I hopped in the shower, got dressed as quickly as I could and proceeded to apply my make-up (aka ready-to-face-the-world-war-paint) as quickly as I could. And then it happened.

I smudged a great big blob of mascara right across my eyelid!

Argh! The traumas we create when trying to do life (or apply make up) at 100 miles per hour!

Our pastor, Karl, often talks about the speed of God being 3mph…walking pace. And yet so often we find ourselves running from errand to errand, from appointment to appointment, from job to job.

When we rush from one thing to the next we fly past people, circumstances and opportunities that are all being carried out at a less than superhuman pace. God is a true superhero but he chooses to work in and through us at a human pace. And he does that for a reason.

Maybe if we just slowed down a little, lived life in less of a rush we’d be available to walk alongside some of God’s amazing plans. And maybe we’d end up with less mascara all over our faces (ok, maybe that’s just me).

No comments: