Monday 16 March 2009

But this is how I feel today

Over the last few days I’ve just not felt right. You know when every little thing just seems to get on your nerves and you can’t shake it off? Well, that’s been me this last week. I’ve been irritable, moody and downright annoying. And worst of all…I knew it!

I knew that I was in a funny mood and I knew that it was affecting the way I was interacting with others. I knew that my behaviour wasn’t always what it should be. But sometimes it’s hard to move past how we feel and still act in the right way. To have the right motives and attitude when we just don’t feel like it.

But our actions should not follow our feelings. Our actions should be consistent and come from a heart of love, a heart of grace. Our actions should direct our feelings. Which is easier said than done, I know!

“Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus”
Philippians 2:4-5


I know that I find this hard, especially when I’m in one of those funny moods. So how can I grow to have an attitude like Jesus? What things can I do to help?
Although I’ve learnt to recognise when I’ve not got the right attitude that is only half of the battle. How do I stop myself from allowing my feelings to rule? How do I stop my mood from dictating my actions, my words and my attitude?

I can pray (lots), read examples of Jesus’ attitude, be accountable to someone, be humble, be open to change and pray some more.

I know that I don’t always do these things when maybe I should. I don’t always turn to God when I struggle with my attitude. Sometimes I rely on others to make me feel better. I make others responsible for my mood, my feelings and my attitude. But only God can help to change my heart and only I can be responsible for the way I act and the things I say.

No comments: