Wednesday 23 March 2011

Big Word Wednesday #14

This time last year I was desperately trying to hand over projects and finish off work so that I could begin my maternity leave. I can’t believe how fast the past 12 months have gone, and how different life is now!

So, I think it’s time for a Big Word Wednesday!

Reminisce

- To tell about the past

- To talk or write about events remembered

- To recall, recollect, muse over

I often find myself thinking about things that have happened in my life. Important events, big achievements, memorable moments. I’m the kind of person that remembers dates and when things happened, so I tend to think back on various ‘anniversaries’.

Sometimes the memories I recall are happy, good, full of fun. I remember laughter with friends and family, journeys and adventures. Things I thought I’d never do or see.

Other times the thoughts are less enjoyable...mistakes I’ve made, things I’ve said or done, time I’ve wasted.

Often it can be good to spend time thinking about our past. We can learn from mistakes, take comfort from good times and be thankful for all that God has done.

But sometimes we can think too much about our past. We hold onto weights and baggage that we need to leave behind. We define who and what we are now by where we’ve come from or things we’ve done. We keep records of our mistakes and failures...and sometimes the mistakes and failures of others. And sometimes we just waste time when we could be thinking about the present or even the hope of the future.

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:13-14

What were you doing this time last year?

How has God worked in your life in the last 12 months?

What do you look forward to in the future?

No comments: