Tuesday 1 February 2011

a quick shower

I felt the drip on my face and I couldn't belileve it.
I was only 2 minutes from the nursery door...no umbrella and no rain cover on the buggy...when the heavens opened and we got wet. I dashed into a shop to put the rain cover on the buggy and keep at least one of us relatively dry. Then I headed out again with a much quicker pace.

As soon as I reached the nursery door it stopped.
My wet hair stuck to my forehead. The hair that I had, not so long ago, straightened and brushed. Now windswept, wet and totally unkempt.

I sat on the bus, still damp from the short shower, and I thought about the futility of some of the things I had done earlier that morning.
Straightening my hair had been a total waste of time!
Wearing my smart but not waterproof coat had been a bad decision.
But I was glad I had put my boots on...at least I had dry feet!

And I thought about how something as short and momentary as a 2 minute downpour can highlight the difference between the temporary and the eternal.

All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4: 15-18

No comments: