Wednesday 26 January 2011

Big Word Wednesday #12

Discombobulate
- to confuse or disconcert
- to upset, frustrate
- to throw into confusion

I don't know about you, but when I read some of the stories and parables that Jesus told, and the things that he did, I think that he must've caused a lot of discombobulation!

Let's just take a look at one example:
Luke 10:38-42

Martha opens up her home to Jesus and the disciples. She was busy making sure that they had everything they needed. She was trying to be the hostest with the mostest! She thought that Jesus would see all that she was doing and be pleased by it. But she was upset, frustrated.

Mary sits at Jesus' feet. Listening, absorbing his words.

Martha was confused. Why didn't Jesus tell Mary to help her sister? Why didn't he see all that she was doing?

Sometimes I get confused with God. I get frustrated when I think that I am 'doing' so much for him or 'have done' so much and wonder why he seems distant or I think he hasn't noticed.
We think it's so important to 'do', to 'achieve', to try and be everything. We strive, we struggle, we wear ourselves out.

But he doesn't call us to 'do' for him, he calls us to 'be' with him. That is the only thing we need.

But I still get confused between just 'being' and also being obedient and 'doing' the things God has called us to do. Totally discombobulated!

There are many other examples of when Jesus discombobulated throughout the gospels. Have a read!

No comments: