I'm not American and I don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day, but I do like the idea of taking time to specifically think about the things in life we can be thankful for.
I need to take my eyes off the negative/critical/difficult things and spend time focussing on just how blessed I am.
So here is my list of things I'm current very thankful for...
1. Family - I love my family. They are so much to me. I am very blessed to have such a wonderful family. And I'm very much looking forward to spending time with family at the weekend.
2. Friends - my friends are very important to me. They listen to me, support me and show God's love to me in very practical ways. I love my friends.
3. Interact - I know I've said it before, but I am loving being part of the interact team this year. The teaching is great, the discussions are great, the quality time with people is great! I am really enjoying every part of it...even the snot and tears parts! God has been so good in enabling me to be part of this. So, so thankful!
4. The Internet - I know this one sounds a bit weird, but hear me out. Thanks to the wonderful inventions of skype and google+ I have been able to 'meet' up with friends and study God's word together during a time when I really needed it. Having children asleep at home, and being several miles apart would normally have restricted this time. But instead, we have been able to continue to support each other, and learn more about being godly women, through our study times together. Plus, internet shopping has enabled me to buy most of this year's Christmas presents without having to wander round numerous shops...great!
5. My church family - words are not enough to describe how blessed I feel to be surrounded my people who look out for me personally and for my family, who encourage us, challenge us, support us and just love us.
6. Tea - the difference a good cup of tea can make to my day cannot be underestimated!
7. Anthropologie - I unwisely stepped into their shop yesterday just for a 'look'! Ha! I left with two dresses that were both significantly reduced (my justification for buying them) and an anticipation for flouncing around in them!
8. Cake - After Jesus, and points 1 and 2 on this list...cake is the best thing on the planet! And so I shall end my list on this undeniable high!
Although there are many many many more things that I could add, and so many things to be thankful for...I shall leave it there and save some for another day.