Tuesday 13 October 2009

No Excuses

I read the article shared in yesterday’s post and I was humbled. I was encouraged. I was glad to be part of a humankind that still seeks to help and care for others.

This morning I stood in the shower and thought. I thought about all the things that Babar Ali could have used as excuses for not doing what he does. Here is a boy who is still young, has no money, no resources or equipment, no formal training in teaching. But here is a boy who has been given an opportunity, seen a need and has a passion to help.

The only difference between Babar and the other children from his village was the fact that he was fortunate to go to school. And how desperately the other children want to learn too. An education for these children is vital. For them it is the difference between having a future or not, sometimes even life or death.

Our salvation and relationship with God through Jesus means we have a future. It means we have hope and it means we have life.

Salvation for God’s people is vital. And God’s people are desperate for it.

But how often do we have the opportunity, see the need, and have a desire to help, but then find an excuse to not do anything? How often do we wait for money, resources or training before stepping out to help people? How often do we use our age as a ‘get out’ clause? Or how often do we wait for others with money, resources and training to help those people for us?

God calls us to reach out to those around us. To love them and to teach them the good news of His salvation. We already have all we need to do that. We have our salvation which we can share. And people desperately need us to share it.

God will fill the gaps. He will provide. He can take our inexperience, our inadequacies, our anxieties and He can use them for His glory. If we are willing to be used.

But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9a


So what’s stopping us? What are our excuses?
Or rather, what’s stopping me? What are my excuses?

No comments: